Forming an LLC requires a different business name, which must be unique and adheres to the guidelines. The great thing is Arkansas’ Secretary of State page includes a name availability checker. Check out LLC Name Search to learn more.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
How to Name an LLC in Arkansas
Time needed: 10 minutes.
- Check Name Availability
Search the Business Entity Records in Arkansas’ Official Secretary of State page to check if your chosen business name is available. You may also try typing your trademark, business, or domain name on any search engine to generate businesses with similar names and to ensure your trademark is unique and meets the state’s requirements.
Check out How to File a DBA to learn more about registering a DBA or trademark. For social media pages, use Social Searcher to avoid using similar page names.
- Check Domain Availability
If your business name is still available, you must register for a domain name using Namecheap, Google Workspace, or other domain name sites. So customers can easily find your business over the Internet. Use the Kinsta app to manage your domains efficiently.
- File Name Reservation
A Name Reservation Certificate is required along with a Certificate of Formation. You can reserve a name online, by mail, or in person with a $25 filing fee (plus tax for online).
File your Certificate of Formation and Name Reservation online on the Secretary of State Online Services page of Arkansas. You may also download the pdf file of the Name reservation form and submit it with the processing fee to the Arkansas Secretary of State, State Capitol, Suite 256, 500 Woodlane Street, Little Rock, AR 72201
Guidelines to Follow in Naming LLC
- Use a business name with the abbreviation “LLC” or the phrase “Limited Liability Company.”
- Your decided business name must not coincide with any existing government entity. Otherwise, you might have to face legal lawsuits when filing your LLC.
- Use the LLC name availability checker to ensure your business name is unique.
- Get a license first if you plan on using restricted words to avoid any complications.
Note that you must put adequate effort into naming your LLC because this name will be with your business for a long time. Making your LLC name unique is vital as it would prevent people from confusing your business with others, not to mention it would be easier for them to recall your business, products, or services.
How To Do an Arkansas LLC Online Name Search
The first step before starting any business is to select an appropriate name for your limited liability company (LLC). If you are confused about how to search LLC names, then we are here to help you out.
The following are the steps that you have to follow in naming your LLC;
Check for the availability of Name in Arkansas
Before selecting a name for your LLC or applying for a reservation of name for your LLC, you must conduct a name search on the Business Entity search.
Search Arkansas Name Database
- Go to the Business Entity Search Page. It will take you to the official webpage of the Arkansas Secretary of State.
- In the “Corporation Type” drop-down list, select “All Types”. By selecting “All Types”, you are not limiting your search to names of LLC only and therefore it will widen the scope of your search.
- Enter your desired LLC name in the “Name” box. Do not add LLC or other kinds of identifiers after the name of your business.
- Leave “Fictitious Name”, “Registered Agent”, “RA City”, “RA State”, “Filing#” blank. You can also ignore the “RA State” drop-down list. These entries are filled when a more specific search is required.
- Click the “Search” button. A list of businesses operating in Arkansas may appear. Browse through the list of existing Arkansas businesses in the search results.
After the search is over, if “There are no records found” appears in the search result, then no other business is using the name of your LLC and your name is distinct. If the search shows some results but they are not too similar, then also your desired name is available for use.
But if your desired name appears exactly in the search results, then an existing business is using this name and therefore you may have to come up with a new name for your LLC. Similarly, if the results show a deceptively similar name, then also you will have to use either a new name or use some creativity and come up with a variation of your desired name.
BONUS TIP — The State of Arkansas lets you check LLC name availability by phone. Just call 501-682-3409 and a representative will help you.
Reserve Arkansas LLC Name
If you want to reserve a name for your LLC, you may do so by filing a fee of $22.5, if filed via online medium or $25, if filed via postal mail. The fee has to be paid to Arkansas’s Secretary of State. By depositing this fee, the name of your LLC will be reserved for 120 days.
A trade name (doing business as (DBA) name) is the official name under which a proprietor or company chooses to do business.
Having a domain isn’t necessary, but it is recommended. If you have a domain name, customers will find you more accessible through online means with your online website.
For domestic LLC, you can simply brainstorm for another name if the one you pick is no longer available. For foreign LLC, you must think up a “fictitious name,” which you’ll use only in the state.