If you are forming an LLC in DC, then this page’s content would be vital. As you learn how to start an LLC, you will realize that the bulk of your initial work and cost comprises filing a DC certificate of formation, which we will elaborate on this page.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
What is a Certificate of Formation?
A Certificate of Formation, also known as an LLC certificate or Articles of Organization in some states, is a document filed with the secretary of state to form an LLC.
Each state has a different requirement to fill out a form. A Certificate of Formation usually includes the following:
- The name of the LLC,
- the effective date of the LLC,
- the company’s principal office,
- the business purpose,
- the duration of the business,
- a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate, and
- the name and address of the registered agent, organizers, and
- at least one member of the company.
Note that the certification of formation is a legal requirement, not to mention, the core of your LLC formation. It even makes up the bulk of your LLC cost. Without it, you have no LLC. So, take the time to complete and file this certificate.
How to File an DC Certificate of Formation
These are the simple steps to follow in filing a Certificate of Formation in DC.
Step 1: Find Forms Online
Go to the DC Secretary of State to download the certificate of formation form for your LLC or to log into the online service.
Step 2: Fill Out Form
You must attach a copy of your Name Reservation to your filled-out Certificate of Formation form when filing. You also need to nominate a registered agent. Here are 3 of the best LLC services on our list.
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$49 + State Fees
$299 + State Fees
$399 + State Fees
Step 3: File Formation Certificates
File your formation certificate either online or by mail by filling out a form and sending it to the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Corporations Division PO Box 92300 Washington, DC 20090.
Filing DC Articles of Organization Online
If you want to form an LLC in DC, you need to file for the certificate of Formation. You can do this online and you can file for it through mail too. When you go for the online filing, it also helps to get the benefit of immediate processing too. The formation guide in the following steps will help you file for the articles of the organization so read on and get the info.
Time needed: 5 minutes.
If you want to file the certificate of formation by mail, then you can easily do that. By following the instructions below, one can file the certificate of formation in DC.
- Visit the following website.
- On the page, click on “Sign-up”.
- Fill in the required details such as email ID, Name, Password, and Mobile Phone.
- Next, click on the “Register” option.
- After registration, from their user homepage, select Limited Liability Company under the “Domestic” List.
- Select “DLC-1 LLC/PLLC Articles of Organization Web”.
- Fill in the other relevant details.
- Submit your application.
Filing DC Articles of Organization Mail
If you want to file the certificate of formation by mail, then you can easily do that. By following the instructions below, one can file the certificate of formation in DC
- Download the PDF application form.
- Read the instructions carefully and fill the form up with correct information.
- If you wish to reserve the name of your LLC, you can attach the name reservation certificate with the application forms.
- Send all the documents to the mailing address, Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, Corporate Division, PO Box 92300, Washington DC 20090, Phone: (202) 442 – 44325.
- You can also submit in person to the following address: Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs, 1100 4th Street SW, Washington DC, 20024
Cost of Filing DC Articles of Organization
It is more convenient to file a certificate of formation online than by mail. Here is the cost of filing a formation certificate in DC.
- Online filing cost $220
- In-person filing cost $320
A Certificate of Formation is a legal document that will officially make your LLC into existence. This document is needed specifically for DC in forming an LLC business structure.
The application form for the Certificate of Formation needs to include the LLC name, date of establishment, the company’s registered office, business purpose, how long the business will exist, and a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate.
Filing by mail or in person is neither highly recommended nor required; waiting an extra week for your LLC to be approved isn’t that bad. The LLC approval you send in will be returned by mail. Online filing, meanwhile, is more convenient as you won’t have to stay in a queue.