If you are forming an LLC in Georgia, then this page’s content would be vital. As you learn how to start an LLC, you will realize that the bulk of your initial work and cost comprises filing a certificate of formation. On this page, we will elaborate on how to register your LLC with a Georgia Certificate of Formation.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- What is a Certificate of Formation?
- How to File an Georgia Certificate of Formation
- Filing Georgia Certificate of Formation Online
What is a Certificate of Formation?
A Certificate of Formation, also known as an LLC certificate or Articles of Organization in some states, is a document filed with the secretary of state to form an LLC.
Each state has a different requirement to fill out a form. A Certificate of Formation usually includes the following:
- The name of the LLC,
- the effective date of the LLC,
- the company’s principal office,
- the business purpose,
- the duration of the business,
- a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate, and
- the name and address of the registered agent, organizers, and
- at least one member of the company.
Note that the certification of formation is a legal requirement, not to mention, the core of your LLC formation. It even makes up the bulk of your LLC cost. Without it, you have no LLC. So, take the time to complete and file this certificate.
How to File an Georgia Certificate of Formation
These are the simple steps to follow in filing a Certificate of Formation in Georgia.
Step 1: Find Forms Online
Go to the Georgia Secretary of State to download the certificate of formation form for your LLC or to log into the online service.
Step 2: Fill Out Form
You must attach a copy of your Name Reservation to your filled-out Certificate of Formation form when filing. You also need to nominate a registered agent. Here are 3 of the best LLC services on our list.
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$49 + State Fees
$299 + State Fees
$399 + State Fees
Step 3: File Formation Certificates
File your formation certificate either online or by mail by filling out a form and sending it to the Corporations Division, 2 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. SE, Suite 313 West Tower, Atlanta, Georgia 30334.
Filing Georgia Certificate of Formation Online
To file the domestic LLC (certificate of formation) online one has to register with the Georgia Corporation Divisions official website.
Sign-up in the Website
At first, one has to register with the proper email ID, name, and address on the Georgia Corporation Divisions official site.
- First, one has to register with the proper email ID, name, and address on the Georgia Corporation Divisions official site.
2. If you already have an account with the site, then you can use the credentials to log in to the site. Make sure you open the website from one browser only. Logging in to the site from multiple browsers at a time can cause problems.
3. Enter the details like name, address, and email ID to start the sign-up process. Hit the Continue button to the next step of the process.
4. On the next page, add your desired user ID and password. Make sure to add at least 8 characters for your ID and password.
5. Click on the “Create My Account” to finish the registration process. It is recommended to choose a security question that can be easily remembered.
Steps to Register Certificate of Formation Online
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Once the account is created, individuals will be able to get access to all types of online services. To register your domestic LLC in Georgia, $100 should be paid as a registration fee.
- Log in and click “Create or Register New Business”
As you hit the ‘Login’ button you will be landed on the Online Service List page. On that page, you will get a list of services like registration of new entities, annual fee registration, name reservation form, and so on. Choose “Create or Register New Business”
- Select the first option.
As you are filing a domestic LLC in Georgia, select the first option. Check on the option “I am creating a new domestic business.”
- Fill up the form with correct information.
Mention your desired business name. If you already have requested a business name, mention that in the form.
- Business Information
In the next section, enter the information about the NAICS, business type, sub-codes.
- Enter your principal office address.
There are mandatory boxes with ted marks. One has to fill those boxes. Click on ‘Continue’ to go to the next page.
- Manager Information.
On the next page, enter the business email ID, and manager information in the different sections of the form.
- Create a registered agent.
Add your registered agent’s name, address, and email ID to continue your registration. If you still don’t have a registered agent, check out the best LLC services to know about the registered agents.
- Review your information.
Next is a review page where you can check the details you have entered. You can go back and edit the details if you need to. If the details are final, then “Submit” the form.
Finally, you will be at the payment page. Make the payment of $100 to register your Doemstic LLC in Georgia.
If you choose a regular process, then it will not cost anything extra. For the same-day registration, LLCs have to pay an additional $250 along with the registration fee. For the 2-day processing time, it will cost $100 extra along with the normal registration fee.
Georgia Certificate of Formation Filing By Mail
If you want to register your domestic LLC in Georgia via mail then you need to follow these below-mentioned instructions. Though we recommend online registration, however, you can file the certificate of formation by sending a mail.
- Download the Application Form (CD 030) from the Georgia Corporations Division website.
- Fill up the form with correct and complete information regarding your LLC.
- Get a printed copy of the filled-up form.
- Download the Transmittal form (CD 231) for LLC
- Fill up the Transmittal Form with correct and complete information.
- Get the printed copy of the filled-up form.
- Mail both the forms to the Georgia Secretary of State, Corporations Division, 2 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. SE, Suite 313 West Tower, Atlanta, Georgia 30334
- Send $110 ($100 registration fee + $10 paper service charge) with the forms either by money order or cheque.
Individuals can drop the forms (certificate of formation + transmittal) along with the filing fee and paper charge to the Secretary of State office in person.
Cost of Filing Certificate of Formation in Georgia
- Online registration: $100 (non-refundable)
- By Mail: $110
- In-person registration: $110
A Certificate of Formation is a legal document that will officially make your LLC into existence. This document is needed specifically for Georgia in forming an LLC business structure.
The application form for the Certificate of Formation needs to include the LLC name, date of establishment, the company’s registered office, business purpose, how long the business will exist, and a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate.
Filing by mail or in person is neither highly recommended nor required; waiting an extra week for your LLC to be approved isn’t that bad. The LLC approval you send in will be returned by mail. Online filing, meanwhile, is more convenient as you won’t have to stay in a queue.