If you are forming an LLC in Iowa, then this page’s content would be vital. As you learn how to start an LLC, you will realize that the bulk of your initial work and cost comprises filing an Iowa certificate of formation, which we will elaborate on this page.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
What is a Certificate of Formation?
A Certificate of Formation, also known as an LLC certificate or Articles of Organization in some states, is a document filed with the secretary of state to form an LLC.
Each state has a different requirement to fill out a form. A Certificate of Formation usually includes the following:
- The name of the LLC,
- the effective date of the LLC,
- the company’s principal office,
- the business purpose,
- the duration of the business,
- a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate, and
- the name and address of the registered agent, organizers, and
- at least one member of the company.
Note that the certification of formation is a legal requirement, not to mention, the core of your LLC formation. It even makes up the bulk of your LLC cost. Without it, you have no LLC. So, take the time to complete and file this certificate.
How to File an Iowa Certificate of Formation
These are the simple steps to follow in filing a Certificate of Formation in Alabama.
Step 1: Find Forms Online
Go to the Iowa Secretary of State to download the certificate of formation form for your LLC or to log into the online service.
Step 2: Fill Out Form
You must attach a copy of your Name Reservation to your filled-out Certificate of Formation form when filing. You also need to nominate a registered agent. Here are 3 of the best LLC services on our list.
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$49 + State Fees
$299 + State Fees
$399 + State Fees
Step 3: File Formation Certificates
Filing Florida Articles of Organization Online
Time needed: 5 minutes.
If you want to form an LLC in the State of Iowa, you need to file for the Articles of Organization. The State of Iowa does not have any standard or prescribed format of the document, rather it accepts a self-formed document that abides with their State Regulation. After approval by the State, you shall receive a receipt, an acknowledgment letter, and an approved copy of your Certificate of Organization. The formation guide in the following steps will help you file for the articles of the organization so read on and get the info.
- Visit the official website of the State of Iowa
The State of Iowa has introduced a Fast Track Filing system which is a one-stop solution for filing every business entity document, biennial reports, and UCCs.
- Create your Account
If you have already registered your account on the website, click on the “log in” option and proceed to fill in your login credentials and access your account. If you do not have an account, click on the “Sign-up” option on the page.
- Fill in your details
Enter your information to sign up for a new account such as your First and Last name, Organization, Address, Email, and password. Click on the tab “Sign-Up”.
- Proceed with registration
After confirmation of your account on the State website, log in with your username and password and proceed to register your business in Iowa by applying for Articles of Organization.
- Scan the documents
After drafting the application for Certificate of Organization, scan and upload them on your computer system.
- Business Entity Filings Page
Visit a page similar to the Business Entity Filings Page on your account (this is for reference purposes, and does not depict the actual filing page on your fast track filings account page).
- Enter the details
In the File type section, “Certificate of Organization”. In the next section, select your payment method, and then your address, phone, and email.
- Upload PDF document
Select the “Choose File” option in this section and locate your signed application for Certificate of Organization and select upload.
- Submit the application
Review your information and click on the “send” option.
Filing Iowa Articles of Organization by Mail
If you wish to file your Articles of Organization via mail, read the instructions below to learn more about drafting suitable articles of organization as per the requirements of the State.
- Access the statutory requirements issued by the State of Iowa here.
- Follow these guidelines while drafting your certificate of organization.
- One or more than one person can act as organizers to form an LLC by signing the documents for filing a Certificate of Organization with the Secretary of State.
- Add a column to specify the name of your LLC, which should follow the naming guidelines of the State.
- The form must also mention the street address of the registered office and also the details of the registered agent for service of process in the company.
- Satisfying the above mentioned conditions, complete your application for a certificate of organization.
- Mail your document to the following address: Secretary of State, Lucas Building, 1st Floor, 321 E. 12th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319.
Cost of Filing Articles of Organization in Iowa
The Cost of Filing generally varies depending on the mode of application, such as mail, fax, or online mode. Nevertheless, in Iowa, the cost is the same irrespective of the mode of transaction.
- Cost of online filing costs $50.
- Cost of filing via mail costs $50.
A Certificate of Formation is a legal document that will officially make your LLC into existence. This document is needed specifically for Alabama in forming an LLC business structure.
The application form for the Certificate of Formation needs to include the LLC name, date of establishment, the company’s registered office, business purpose, how long the business will exist, and a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate.
Filing by mail or in person is neither highly recommended nor required; waiting an extra week for your LLC to be approved isn’t that bad. The LLC approval you send in will be returned by mail. Online filing, meanwhile, is more convenient as you won’t have to stay in a queue.