If you are forming a Kansas LLC, then this page’s content would be vital. As you learn how to start an LLC, you will realize that the bulk of your initial work and LLC cost comprises filing Kansas articles of organization, which we will elaborate on this page.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
What is an Article of Organization?
An Article of Organization, also known as an LLC certificate or Certificate of Formation in some states, is a document filed with the secretary of state to form an LLC.
Each state has a different requirement to fill out a form. An Article of Organization usually includes the following:
- The name of the LLC,
- the effective date of the LLC,
- the company’s principal office,
- the business purpose,
- the duration of the business,
- a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate, and
- the name and address of the registered agent, organizers, and
- at least one member of the company.
Note that the certification of formation is a legal requirement, not to mention, the core of your LLC formation. It even makes up the bulk of your Kansas LLC cost. Without it, you have no LLC. So, take the time to complete and file this certificate.
How to File an Kansas Articles of Organization
These are the simple steps to follow in filing an Article of Organization in Kansas.
Step 1: Find Forms Online
Go to the Kansas Secretary of State to download the articles of organization form for your LLC or to log into the online service.
Step 2: Fill Out Form
You must attach a copy of your Name Reservation to your filled-out Article of Organization form when filing. You also need to nominate a registered agent. Here are 3 of the best LLC services on our list.
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$49 + State Fees
$299 + State Fees
$399 + State Fees
Step 3: File Formation Certificates
File your formation certificate either online or by mail by filling out a form and sending it to the Kansas Office of the Secretary of State, Memorial Hall, 1st Floor, 120 S.W. 10th Avenue, Topeka, KS 66612.
Filing Kansas Articles of Organization Online
Time needed: 5 minutes.
The State of Kansas offers online services for filing the Articles. You can file it via mail as well. After approval by the State, you shall receive a certified copy of your Articles of Organization. The formation guide in the following steps will help you file for the articles of the organization so read on and get the info.
- Visit the official Kansas Business Center Website
The Secretary of the State of Kansas Office offers a single sign-on solution, KanAccess.
- Create your Account
If you have already registered your account on the website, then fill in your login credentials and proceed to “Sign-in” to access your account. If you do not have an account, click on the “Sign-up” option on the page.
- Fill in your Sign-up Details
Enter your information to sign up for a new account such as your First and Last name, Organization, Email Address, and password. Click on the tab “Sign-Up”.
- Proceed with Registration
After confirmation of your account on the State website, log in with your username and password and proceed to register your business in Kansas. After login, select “Business Entity Formation” from the list of businesses displayed on the Kansas Business Center website.
- Submit the application
Review your information and submit the application.
Filing Kansas Articles of Organization by Mail
If you wish to file your Articles of Organization via mail, read the instructions below to learn more about filing an application for an article of organization in Kansas via mail.
- Download the Application Form PDF from the Kansas State website. You can fill in the details online and print and submit your application form.
- Fill in the required information for payment and effective date.
- On the next page, continue to provide the accurate details of your business, such as the name of the LLC, details of the resident agent and the registered office address, mailing address, and tax closing month. Put your signatures in the form.
- Review the information provided by you thoroughly.
- Make a payment of $165 by check, money order, or credit card.
- Mail your application and filing fee to the following address: Kansas Office of the Secretary of State, Memorial Hall, 1st Floor 120 S.W. 10th Avenue Topeka, KS 66612-1594
Cost of Filing a Kansas Articles of Organization
The filing of Articles can be filed online as well as via mail. It is more convenient to file an article of organization online than by mail.
- The cost of filing online is $160
- The cost of filing via mail is $165
An Article of Organization is a legal document that will officially make your LLC into existence. This document is needed specifically for Kansas in forming an LLC business structure.
The application form for the Article of Organization needs to include the LLC name, date of establishment, the company’s registered office, business purpose, how long the business will exist, and a copy of the LLC’s name registration certificate.
Filing by mail or in person is neither highly recommended nor required; waiting an extra week for your LLC to be approved isn’t that bad. The LLC approval you send in will be returned by mail. Online filing, meanwhile, is more convenient as you won’t have to stay in a queue.