All business entities should have a unique name that will allow people to identify the company and seek its services. When you are planning to open Limited Liability Companies, every step you have to consider is deciding on the business name. You can get most of the naming requirements from the Secretary of State LLC Name Search. Fulfill the criteria so your name won’t get rejected.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
How to Search Business Name for New LLC
Since having a unique name is essential for all limited partnerships setups, you need to search for the perfect name that will describe your business’s goals and motto clearly and yet help you to attract customers easily. Usually, you can use an LLC name generator for getting suggestions on the names before you file for the same. Also, you can gain an assumed name certificate to form a fictitious name for your entity status.
Reasons for Searching Business Name
Now, the main question with the name search is why one actually needs to search for the business name before deciding to file. Well, to be very frank, the US government has set some strict rules regarding the naming of the businesses. And hence, if you pick out a title randomly, it might violate the laws, and thus, your application will never get accepted by the Secretary of State.
The main reasons to conduct a business name search are:
- To find out the availability of the name that you have thought about for your LLC business in the database.
- To determine the status of an existing business and get the basic information on the same.
- To reserve entity names, you have thought about
- To check whether any other LLC office from different profit corporations is present with the same name or not in your concerned state in the database.
- To carry out some of the essential administrative works with the business name.
Marketing Considerations for LLC Names
Now, there are some marketing considerations you have to keep in mind while choosing the business name for your LLC company, and these are typically considered for Doing Business As (DBA) names.
- First of all, the name should be crisp and clear without any clumsiness.
- Next, you need to ensure that a domain is available in the database for the name you have decided on. If not, you will have to make some tweaks in the chosen name to get the domain.
- Make sure the name defines the business and what it is about, as that will give a clear idea to your customers. If you have multiple businesses, the same is applicable for the entire list of entities.
Legal Restrictions for Naming an LLC
Just like you have to consider the marketing department while deciding the business name, you also need to abide by the legal norms for the search criteria that the Secretary of State has decided for having the certificate for your LLC’s name.
- The name should have LLC as the abbreviation or the full word, i.e., Limited Liability Company.
- No other keyword can be included in the name, which signifies an existing government authority like Corporation, Private Limited, and so on in every individual search.
- If you are planning for an official business entity, do make sure that you know the naming rules of the PLLC. You can get help from a registered agent for the same.
- No business should exist in your state with the same name as your LLC, according to the business entity records. For this, you can get help from the state-based business entity name search.