If you already have an LLC in another state and want a Maine LLC, then starting an LLC would be somewhat different. You must register as a foreign LLC. We have here a guide on how you can qualify and register for a foreign LLC in Maine.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
Forming a Maine Foreign LLC
A foreign LLC does not need to be a company from another country but a business formed under the laws of another state. To start a foreign LLC in Maine, you need to register it with the Maine Secretary of State.
Step 1: Choose Maine Foreign LLC Name
Obtain a name reservation certificate and submit it with your foreign qualification requirements at the Maine Secretary of State. Your LLC’s legal name outside of Maine will be listed on the application, along with the name it will use in Maine. Take note of the requirements for naming your LLC.
Step 2: Select Maine Foreign LLC Registered Agent
You’ll need a registered agent to form a foreign LLC in Maine and take note that a Maine registered agent must have a local address. Here are three of the best LLC services on our list that will provide you with registered agents to ease your worries:
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$49 + State Fees
$299 + State Fees
$399 + State Fees
Step 3: File Registration of Maine Foreign LLC
Fill out and submit a Foreign LLC Application for Registration by mail to the Secretary of State, Division of Corporations, UCC, and Commissions, 101 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333.
Include the following:
- LLC’s full legal name.
- A fictitious name or a DBA (only if your LLC’s legal name is not available); Attach a statement of adoption of the fictitious name signed by all LLC members.
- LLC’s principal office and mailing addresses.
- LLC formation state and date.
- Registered agent’s name and address in Maine
- Date when your LLC will start operations in Maine.
- Credit card information on the last page of the form for the $20 application fee plus $50 for expedited processing or $100 for immediate processing.
The LLC cost in Maine, even for foreign LLCs will differ between online filing and by mail.
Step 4: Determine How Your Maine Foreign LLC is taxed
Foreign LLCs are also subjected to the Maine Business Privilege Tax, and they must file LLC annual reports each year.
Note that forming a foreign LLC would be good for your business as you can legally operate in a different state thus reaching a larger market and opening more opportunities for higher profit.
After Forming Maine Foreign LLC
Here are added things you need to accomplish after forming your Maine Foreign LLC
- Obtain Business Licenses. Find the business licenses you’ll need using the Business License Search.
- File LLC annual reports and Business Privilege Tax.
- Pay State Taxes like sales tax; you’ll need an EIN for your LLC.
It is convenient plus easy to file for the foreign LLC if you are doing it online. However, there is no online filing for a Maine LLC.
If your LLC is formed under the laws of another state, it is referred to as a foreign LLC in Maine.
Businesses incorporated outside of the state where they operate must have “foreign qualifications” issued in the other states.
A domestic LLC is a company registered in Maine as an LLC. The entity type that has a physical presence in another state is a foreign LLC.