If you are a member of a nonprofit organization to help less fortunate people, the PayPal platform is your partner. PayPal for nonprofits is a program to assist organizations that manage their funds in the simplest way possible online. It allows organizations to raise money through online transactions. Be it a one-time donation or regular domination, PayPal is the right place for non-profits.
PayPal not only makes receiving money quick and easy, but they also make sure that you get to transfer the funds to the organization’s bank hassle-free. In fact, everything happens in just a matter of minutes. That’s how convenient the whole operation will be.
Plus, they give fabulous discounts for nonprofit accounts. That means you get more for the price of a premium account. That is if we are talking about ease of service and security.
How Does PayPal Nonprofit Works?
PayPal nonprofit works almost the same way as a typical PayPal account with some adjustments. Since nonprofit organizations are basically charity institutions, PayPal has made all the transactions within the platform seamless.
But before PayPal acknowledges an account as a nonprofit, they have to meet some requirements. This means submitting some documents and whatnots related to the organization. Here is the list of requirements that should be provided.
- Evidence of a nonprofit registration related to an established regulatory body such as Articles of Incorporation, IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter, or even just a documentation of candidacy.
- A letter of intent and some information that indicates how you plan to use the money or funds.
- A pre-printed bank statement from the representative’s account. That means it should be from the name that owns the email account that will access the PayPal account. A Starter check does not count and not considered valid.
- The bank account linked to the PayPal account should be owned by the organization. A personal bank account does not count and not valid.
- A letter of the mission of the organization.
- Submission of a fundraising letter.
- The PayPal account must be a business account and not personal to avail of other products that are only available on the business account. If the current account is a personal account, go to Profile Settings, and upgrade to a business account.
Setting Up Non-Profit Account On PayPal
Setting up a nonprofit account is not so difficult. If the user is intended to raise funds through online transactions then they can have a ‘Donate Button’ on their site. This will help the contributors to direct deposit the amount they are donating.
- To add a donate button to your site, at first, log in to your PayPal account.
- From the drop-down list on the home screen, select ‘Non-Profit’. Scroll down a little to find the methods of fundraising. Select ‘Online Fundraising’.
- On the next page click on the ‘Learn More’ to add a button. Make sure to be logged in to your PayPal account. Click on ‘Create Button’ and continue.
- You will find several button types on the next page. Select the ‘Donate’ button from the list.
- You need to select the Country or Region, Language, and button style.
- Next, enter your email and the purpose of the donation, and click on continue. The buttons will be created and you will get a code.
- That code must be added to the Donation button on your website. You can also customize the button by adding other images.
During the checkout process, you will be asked about the amount of donation. Select ‘any amount’ or you can fix a certain number.
There will not be any fees for setup your nonprofit account. Depending on the payment volume, you will be charged a fee. The fundraisers can use any major credit card to accept the payment.
PayPal Mobile App
The fundraisers can use the PayPal app to raise funds. The app is available on Google Play Store and Apple App Store. People can download and log in to the app to use it on their mobile devices.
Importance of the information
These requirements are of utmost importance due to many legal reasons. One of those reasons is to prevent money laundering and using the name of the nonprofit organization as a cover for these activities. These requirements are also meant to ensure that PayPal and the involved nonprofit organization meet the regulatory requirements of (for) the government.
Also, to avail of the discounted rate that PayPal is offering to nonprofit organizations, the IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter is a must. This is also to reassure the donors that their money is going straight to the organization and not to a single person.
For registered charities with 501(c)(3) status, the fee structure is clean. A fixed flat rate fee is given with the discount already included. The flat rate is applicable for transactions ranging from 0$ – $100,000. If the transaction exceeds $100,000, please call customer service on 1-855-787-1012.
- In the U.S. – a fee of 2.2% of the transaction amount plus a fixed fee based on the currency.
- Outside the U.S. – a fee of 3.7% of the transaction amount plus a fixed fee based on the currency.
It does not matter what justified reasoning an individual can use to request for an exemption. These requirements must be submitted and verified to prevent legal bodies from questioning these types of accounts. For more information about PayPal nonprofits, visit PayPal official webpage.
While the PayPal nonprofit policy is a great tool for both donors and nonprofit organizations, it is not the most optimal tool overall. One of the reasons is the fact that the PayPal donations form does not appeal as donor-friendly in terms of being a fundraising tool.
But if you are new to these types of businesses, the PayPal nonprofit program is a good place to start. And while there are other options out there, PayPal still stands out. With the security features and the fact that PayPal is generally an accepted payment method, you should fit in easily and feel familiarized with the platform.
PayPal, being one of the leading online payment solutions, allows all users to take up different payment methods. Users can use their debit card or credit cards, PayPalCash plus account, nonprofit account, and so on for online transactions. It is easy and handy. There are standard transaction fees to be paid and your work will be done.
PayPal helps you to maintain personal accounts as well as accounts for business purposes. Entrepreneurs can use PayPal for all types of business and receive/make all types of payments. Feel free to share your views with us about this. Comment below.