If you already have an LLC in another state and want an LLC in SC, then starting an LLC would be somewhat different. You must register as a foreign LLC. We have here a guide on how you can qualify and register for a foreign LLC in South Carolina.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
- Forming a South Carolina Foreign LLC
- After Forming South Carolina Foreign LLC
Forming a South Carolina Foreign LLC
A foreign LLC does not need to be a company from another country but a business formed under the laws of another state. To start a foreign LLC in South Carolina, you need to register it with the South Carolina Secretary of State.
Step 1: Choose South Carolina Foreign LLC Name
Obtain a name reservation certificate and submit it with your foreign qualification requirements at the South Carolina Secretary of State. Your LLC’s legal name outside of South Carolina will be listed on the application, along with the name it will use in South Carolina. Take note of the requirements for naming your LLC.
Step 2: Select South Carolina Foreign LLC Registered Agent
You’ll need a registered agent to form a foreign LLC in South Carolina and take note that a South Carolina registered agent must have a local address. Here are three of the best LLC services on our list that will provide you with registered agents to ease your worries:
Our Rating & Pricing
#1 TOP PICK
$49 + State Fees
$299 + State Fees
$399 + State Fees
Step 3: File Registration of South Carolina Foreign LLC
Fill out and submit a Foreign LLC Application for a Registration form by mail toSouth Carolina Secretary of State’s Office, Attn: Corporate Fillings, 1205 Pendleton Street, Suite 525, Columbia, SC 29201.
Include the following:
- LLC’s full legal name.
- A fictitious name or a DBA (only if your LLC’s legal name is not available); Attach a statement of adoption of the fictitious name signed by all LLC members.
- LLC’s principal office and mailing addresses.
- LLC formation state and date.
- Registered agent’s name and address in South Carolina
- Date when your LLC will start operations in South Carolina.
- Credit card information on the last page of the form for the $150 application fee.
The LLC cost in South Carolina, even for foreign LLCs will differ between online filing and by mail.
Step 4: Determine How Your South Carolina Foreign LLC is taxed
Foreign LLCs are also subjected to the South Carolina Business Privilege Tax, and they must file LLC annual reports each year.
Note that forming a foreign LLC would be good for your business as you can legally operate in a different state thus reaching a larger market and opening more opportunities for higher profit.
After Forming South Carolina Foreign LLC
Here are added things you need to accomplish after forming your South Carolina Foreign LLC
- Obtain Business Licenses. Find the business licenses you’ll need using the Business License Search.
- File LLC annual reports and Business Privilege Tax.
- Pay State Taxes like sales tax; you’ll need an EIN for your LLC.
It is convenient plus easy to file for the foreign LLC if you are doing it online. The steps are very easy and that’s why it’s possible to go along with the steps and form the foreign LLC in South Carolina.
If your LLC is formed under the laws of another state, it is referred to as a foreign LLC in South Carolina.
Businesses incorporated outside of the state where they operate must have “foreign qualifications” issued in the other states.
A domestic LLC is a company registered in South Carolina as an LLC. The entity type that has a physical presence in another state is a foreign LLC.